Simple chicken taco bowls are prepared in the instant pot in under 5 minutes. This recipe is a family favorite and ideal for busy weeknights. Just set it and get ready to eat!
A taco or burrito bowl is the one dish that I know my entire family will always eat. They contain all of our favorites and are simple to alter. My spouse and kids adore them!
Dump and leave I always turn to Instant Pot dinners on busy weeknights. You won’t ever need to spend time slaving over the stove again when you need dinner quickly once you learn how to use the Instant Pot.
It will only take you five minutes to throw the ingredients into the pot for these chicken taco bowls, also known as burrito bowls, and they will be ready in no time.
This is a dish I know my entire family will like and is a family favorite on Taco Tuesday, which is always a win in my book. They are somewhat easier than my slow cooker chicken taco bowls but otherwise quite comparable. In the quick pot, everything is prepared, including the rice. So simple and so tasty!
Can I use frozen chicken breasts?
Definitely, yes! I regularly engage in this. Simply cook the frozen chicken in the Instant Pot for 10 to 12 minutes rather than 8. Set it for 12 if the breasts are fairly thick. To ensure that the flavors adhere better, I also like to rinse and pat dry the chicken.
How to make taco bowls in the instant pot
ASSEMBLE. In the instant pot, layer the following ingredients in the following order: rice, salsa, black beans, and corn, half the chicken stock, chicken (with salt and chili powder rub on), and the remaining chicken broth. After that, push firmly to cover the rice.
COOK. Set the timer for 8 minutes on high pressure (or 10 to 12 minutes for frozen or thicker breasts). After 12 minutes of natural release, perform a rapid release.
SHRED & FLUFF. After removing the cover, give it some time to rest. Shred the chicken and lightly fluff the rice with a fork.
SERVE. The mixture should be added to bowls before serving with preferred toppings. Enjoy!
Taco bowls are the finest because you can fill them up with all of your favorite toppings. Here are a few of my favorites, but we often use what we already have.
- Crumbled cheese
- A cilantro lime crema or sour cream
- Avocado slices or guacamole
- Tomato dice or pico de gallo
- Strips of tortilla or tortilla chips
Perfect for meal prep
These taco bowls made in the instant pot are another great way to make a meal. Since everything is prepared in one pot, I enjoy making these when meal planning because there are hardly any dishes to do.
To meal prep:
- On the counter, arrange 4-6 meal prep containers in a row.
- Fill the bottom of each container with the rice mixture.
- Then top with chicken mixture.
- When ready to consume, store covered and in the refrigerator.
TIP: I also enjoy preparing my toppings in advance. To make them ready to eat, I’ll put condiments like guacamole, shredded cheese, pico de gallo, salsa, and sour cream into tiny plastic condiment cups. I’ll then put chopped spinach or lettuce in a tiny zip-top bag to store. So simple!
Repurpose your leftovers
You can use leftovers in so many different ways if you have any! Here are a few delectable suggestions:
- Build a burrito
- Put in a salad
- Place on nachos
- To tacos, add
- Make peppers with chicken in them.
More easy Instant Pot meals:
- Instant Pot Teriyaki Chicken
- Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings
- Taco Soup in the Instant Pot
- Rice with Chicken in an Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Mexican Shredded Chicken
Instant Pot Chicken Taco Bowls
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 pounds chicken breast I used 3 medium chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon chili powder more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt more to taste
- 1 cup fresh salsa
- 15 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup roasted corn I love the Trader Joes frozen roasted corn
- 1/2 cup rice
- lime juice juice from 1/2 a lime
- Optional toppings: sliced avocado salsa, sour cream, shredded cheese, chopped cilantro, tortilla chips
- Put the ingredients in your instant pot in this sequence. First, fill the bottom of the pan with half of the chicken broth. The chicken is then added, and salt and chilli powder are sprinkled on top. Next, equally distribute the salsa on top. Then include the maize and black beans. Add the rice last. Add the remaining chicken broth on top in a uniform layer. To fully submerge the rice, lightly press down.
- 8 minutes of high pressure cooking (10-12 minutes if the breasts are frozen depending on how thick they are). The instant pot will come to pressure in 10 to 15 minutes. After cooking is complete, let the pressure naturally relax for 12 minutes. After that, quickly release.
- Give it a few minutes to settle with the lid off. To shred, remove the chicken. With a fork, gently fluff the rice. Chicken and lime juice are then added.
- Put food in bowls. Serve with tortilla chips and favourite toppings like cheese, chopped avocado, and sour cream.